The era we live in today is the era of immense technological development. Even before a new technology is fully adopted there is another set of technology that is ready to be used. In such a fast paced environment it is of immense importance that a company keeps up with the ever evolving technological development. Even though all the organizational divisions are affected by the introduction and use of new technology, it is the HR department that plays the most important role in the transitions.
When any organization upgrades its technology it invests in potential productivity. The agenda behind any new technological application in an organization is the higher degree of productivity, privacy and turnover that the technology is expected to bring along.
Often a question that is left unanswered is as to why does a company need to invest in technology? Well with the world moving forward in terms of technological development, an organization has to move in the same manner to ensure progress and growth of the organization and its employees. With newer technological adoption comes a sense of security, growth and progress among the employees. This higher degree of enthusiasm more often than not gets converted to higher return on investment. For an organization having presence in multiple locations, every location can immensely benefit from the technological development.
However merely deciding on upgrading technology is not sufficient if you want to ensure a smooth transition. There are a few HR related issues that need to be addressed here. If these issues are taken well into account then the technological transition becomes much easier and smoother.
- Applicability: It needs to be ensured that the new technology in question adequately suits the company’s requirements. Here it needs to be ascertained whether the concerned technology is capable of meeting the company’s needs in the present as well as the future. This can be determined by taking into consideration both the employee potential and company profile.
- Multiple Locations: If the organization in question is spread over multiple geographic locations, it needs to be ensured that the technology can be accessed at all these locations. It must be accessible to all the employees across the organization without being affect by the physical boundaries.
- Value addition: It is important to ensure that any technology being adopted in a organization is cost effective. Before purchasing the technology a thorough value analysis needs to be done. Upon this a potential value analysis can be conducted to ensure that the technology will lead to value addition.
- Widespread use: A technology that is widespread in its use is generally more acceptable to the employees. They not only are more accepting towards it but also learn the same more easily
- Research: It is highly important to undertake proper research when a new technology is being brought into an organization. It is particularly true in case of HRIS system. Hence you need to know everything from the level of customization possible to the expected cost of the system.